Who we are
The current chairman of PLEA is David Reissner. David is an expert in pharmacy law, administrative and public law (including Judicial Review) and healthcare law. He advises on a range of NHS and other legal and ethical issues. His clients include representative bodies, pharmacy owners, individual pharmacists, dentists, GPs and other healthcare professionals. David works for CharlesRussell Speechlys and is based at their London offices.
PLEA was founded by Professor Joy Wingfield and she remained chairman until 2015. Based in Nottingham and now virtually retired, Joy has had a long career in pharmacy law, ethics and regulatory affairs as well as academia and teaching activities, culminating in being appointed Honorary Professor of Pharmacy Law and Ethics at Nottingham School of Pharmacy. Find out more using the link above.
PLEA was first established at a meeting of interested pharmacists at the Waterloo Novotel in 1997; Joy was voted as the founding chairman with Dr Gordon Appelbe as secretary and treasurer. Since that time, PLEA has held an annual seminar and occasional sessions in association with other pharmacy conferences and events. PLEA is part of the partnership network of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society.
What we do
PLEA aims to bring together like-minded people with an interest in pharmacy law and ethics. We maintain a public facing website to promote the aims of PLEA, to recruit new members and to carry a news function of selected developments in pharmacy law and ethics
For members, we offer additional benefits including the following:
- Maintain an online directory of members
- Provide a forum on the PLEA website for exchange of views and discussions
- Facilitate electronic management of membership fees and collection
- Provide a medium for members to publish enhanced news items, articles, case law reports and similar material
- Hold an annual seminar on a relevant topical subject and publish reports, presentations and video material where available
- Contribute material and speakers for sessions at pharmacy conferences and similar events
- Respond to and/or collate member views on relevant legal and practice consultations
- Provide funding for initiatives that will promote the aims of PLEA
- Maintain details of members who are available for consultancy
If you would like to join PLEA, look under the tab called "membership"
The Pharmacy Law & Ethics Association Constitution